Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Like Les Miserables...

November 2, 2015

Well, the way Les Miserables put it, "Another day another destiny" and I think they got it right.  Now, you may be asking "what destiny?" Eternal Life I tell you!  On this mission I have learned and grown so much, and I might actually be homesick when I get back to the states for the people of Ghana.  These people are so amazing, loving, and kind people.  You can talk to anyone and anyone will talk to you.  Its pretty great. :D  Now, I dont know who said this, but I love this quote, "I expect to pass through life just once.  If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good things I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer nor neglect it as I shall not pass this way again."  What is this goodness its taking about?  What kindness?  How can we show it?  The answer is in one word: service.  If you serve people, you are not just serving the people, but you are serving God. (Mosiah 2:17)  If you serve another person, God will bless you with joy and true happiness.  And serving does not have to be some planned act that you do in church groups.  Just smile, talk to someone, make someones day, and pray for the people that you know are struggling.

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a time.  It is only adventure that some people succeed in finding themselves.  It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for something you are not. (Mosiah 8:18)  Be yourself, your best self, that you may find company in any situation you may find yourself.  Stop trying to be someone you are not, and pray to God that He may manifest to you the person you are to become in His eyes.  Pray, read the scriptures, do anything that brings you closer to God.

We got some new shirts with the symbol of "Fear God" on it and then we ate the Foo-foo we pounded.... it was very nice!!

Now, there was an experience that you may have read about in the last post on the blog.  Sister Brink may have told you.  This experience was that we were trying to find a new contact, somewhere, anywhere that we could teach.  We walked, talked and knocked but to no avail.  As we were heading back to the apartment, I noticed something.  I was not discouraged.  I was not sad.  I was not complaining, and I was not frustrated.  Nor was I tired.  I asked myself, "Why is this?  I should be ticked right now...!"  But then I felt the spirit hit me.  "You may labor in this vineyard for a time, but they whom you find may be the chosen ones at the last day.  You are doing your part, that's all that God asks, and God will make a way to complete the work, whether big, or small."  Tamale is 98% Muslim and we have very little people come to church.  But just as M. Russell Ballard said, "How would you feel if the Lord came and took a look at your area?  Would He be happy with the results?"  I keep asking myself that.  Have I done my best?  Have I done all that is in my strength?

I tell you that as we press forward, having steadfastness in Christ, and a perfect brightness of hope, with a love for the work, we will find ourselves in the refiners fire we didn't even know we were in.  

Everyone thinks of changing humanity, but no one thinks of changing himself.  There is no greatness where simplicity, goodness, and truth are absent.  It is by those who have suffered that the world has advanced. (2 Nephi 4:28)  We as people need to change ourselves and have the will of God be in place of our own will.  He knows all, and He knows that we can return to Him, we have the potential to IF we give our will the the Father. 

May we, as disciples, as servants, and most importantly as children of the Most High, come to know the greatness and mercy and power of the Almighty.  For He will give salvation unto all the believe on His name.  May we press forward with the work of the Lord and then in that day He shall say, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant," is my prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.






























No comments:

Post a Comment